At the end of 2015 I took us through 10 black musicians we lost. It’s another year, and we are all another year older and another year closer the end of our own earthly journeys.
Over the year of 2016 we lost many of the great musicians. A sad reality of life, but we can celebrate the talent they graced us with over the decades. Here are 12 of the best who left us during the year.
12) George Michael. This was his last Christmas.
11) Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane
10) David Bowie
9) All 64 members of the Red Army Choir died on Christmas Day as their plan crashed into the Black Sea.
8) Fred Hellerman, the last surviving member of the folk group, the Weavers, passed away at the age of 89. Hellerman is the guitar player.
7) Bobby Vee
6) Ralph Stanley
5) Joey Feek, the wife of the husband-wife duo of Joey + Rory
4) Prince. It’s more than his guitar weeping this year.
3) Leonard Cohen
2) Merle Haggard
1) Glenn Frey from the Eagles, age 67. Take it easy, Mr. Frey.